LaLena.com

Not logged in

Got a problem. Read this first.   
UserPost
Michael LaLena
Got a problem. Read this first.
11/25/2006 3:28:10 PM

If you are having problems running the games, check out this help page first.

Also, be sure to read the game instructions if you are having problems with a specific game.

kurlie21
Re: Got a problem. Read this first.
12/12/2006 1:42:51 PM

On Towers, it freezes up on me ALL the time no matter if I use IE or Netscape.  It especially freezes as I'm about to click the last card in the third round which would give me a really nice score.  What's up?
Michael LaLena
12/12/2006 2:19:16 PM

Is it freezing up as you click the last card or right before you click the last card?

It is most likely locking up because you have completed the game and it is trying to register the high score. I added in some retry logic to make sure the scores get through, but this means that if there is a network problem it will take longer for it to fail.

If this is the case, then if you let it go it will eventually un-freeze. At that point, it will either say "Error recording high score" if it couldn't get through in 3 retries, or it will tell you the score was recorded and your rank.

As some point, I will do the score keeping on a separate thread so it won't lock up the GUI.

kurlie21
12/14/2006 4:05:43 PM

Thanks so much!  I appreciate your quick feedback. 
SteelerladyQ
2/22/2007 1:02:34 PM

I am logged in, but cannot seem to get into scroggle to play it will show me everything but the game itself????I am a new user...can you help me.
Michael LaLena
2/22/2007 3:20:31 PM

Do you see the Java icon in the game window at all?

If not, you may want to try downloading Java by hand from here: http://www.java.com/getjava/

samantha_jo117
3/15/2007 10:47:45 AM

Why wont the site let me play any games at all?  The last time I played was Monday and everything worked fine. I'm so confuckled!
Michael LaLena
3/15/2007 4:54:06 PM

Samantha,

I know Sun recently pushed down an updated version of Java which may require a reboot to get it running again.

If that doesn't work then from your browser go to Tools -> Sun Java Console and let me know if there are any errors in there.

samantha_jo117
3/22/2007 12:22:24 PM

I rebooted my comp and they still are not working.  I checked under tools and their are no errors!!  When I click on towers  it will show the high scores but when i try to scroll down to play the game is not their.  Maybe this information will help explain my problem a little better.

Michael LaLena
3/23/2007 3:57:45 PM

I don't have many ideas for this one. Best I can say is to uninstall and reinstall java from scratch.

You uninstall java by going to your Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs. Click on Sun Java and Remove it.

Then get the latest java from http://www.java.com/getjava/ and install it.

Babs
4/24/2007 6:04:52 PM

Last Edited by Babs
on 4/24/2007 6:17:47 PM

I'd like to read your help page, but it won't come up!  Says the page can't be found.  You're such a tease.

Since I can't read your "having trouble" page, maybe you can give me a quick answer.  My high scores won't record when I play from work.  I suspect it's a firewall thing because I don't have any trouble from home (I'm using the same laptop in both places).  Can you confirm my suspicion or suggest what else it might be?

Thanks.

Michael LaLena
4/30/2007 4:59:15 PM

With the latest Java, it will by default grab the current firewall settings from your browser. If you can access the games themselves, then you should be able to get to the high score service. They are both run from the same server on the same port. Older versions of Java made the developers do this by hand using methods that would now cause security violations on your browser. If you have the latest java/browser, then your company must have some other way of blocking the high score connection.

TXEmma
7/30/2007 11:32:17 PM

Hi Michael,  I tried clicking on the red read this first but it says that the page is unavailable.  It's a little better this past couple of days but there are still times that I can't get into scroggle.

TXEmma
7/30/2007 11:32:18 PM

Hi Michael,  I tried clicking on the red read this first but it says that the page is unavailable.  It's a little better this past couple of days but there are still times that I can't get into scroggle.

potty
2/21/2008 2:43:02 PM

hi michael im having a problem with the daily scroogle everything is loading on the page but i cant enter the words i have found. i have completed todays scroggle but i have had to use my sisters(jayjay) computer ,please help
1eyedcat
3/4/2008 9:57:28 PM

michael, this has happened to me a few times in the last couple weeks. The first game of (and only the first game, and only the first round) royal flash, on the first round I put up a monster score (anywhere from 130,000 to 160,000) in what should be approx. a 140 time frame only to look up and see the time recorded is like twice as low, resulting in a low low low score. Just saying ouch. Thanks. 

jayjay
can not connect to la.lena
3/7/2008 5:45:34 AM

potty can not connect to the la.lena .com site so have you any advise on what she should do. Shes tried connecting through her history but she still can not enter the la.lena  site please help
shangala67
9/21/2008 10:43:45 PM

First i would like to say i really enjoy scroggle..its nice and relaxing after a long day of work.  I must say though being openly attacked in chat by bunny87 and another is getting very annoying..being called a cheater and other things is just wrong..im here to have fun not be harrassed by someone i have never met or even chatted to. Most scroggle people are great and fun to talk to but im seriously tired of the hotile environment when this bunny person is around.
bunny87
9/22/2008 6:12:39 AM

I am not the problem, you people from volano chat are. I have been contacted by several different people that you have been talking crap about myself, knight rider and other scrogglers in volano chat. They have sent me screen shots of what you are saying and tonight i saw it for myself. You people were acting like I or my mother called Saisha out for cheating. I did not nor did my mother, so i stated this in the chat on 9/21 at 10:11:44pm. I made the one statement and intended to leave chat. Roos came in and said "ummm never said ya did bunny". She started the crap tonight because she did not need to come in there unless she felt guilty for some reason. She probably did, because she was in volano with the rest of you talking smack and you all flocked to scroggle to attack me. PlaywiththeDevil was watching for me or knight rider to come into scroggle and he reported back to the rest of you. You can make it look anyway you want to and say that my statements in scroggle are whacked, but it is hard to carry a decent conversation with 5 to 10 people attacking one(VOLANO CHATTERS: roos, lil_bit, shangala67, playwiththedevil, wench303, winebottle, SilverWolf, Jeannie). Shangala67 aka deanna, you could have stayed out of the conversation and worked on your game and continue to get words from playwiththedevil in volano, but you thought it was more fun to join in the group attack. You guys even had another volano chatter (SilverWolf) to come to scroggle just to join in. You people have every intention of stirring up trouble with me and knight rider in the hopes that michael will ban us, and you have said so in volano chat. You people call us dysfunctional, but you are in another chat room watching for us to come in scroggle so you can stir things up, how pitiful!!!!!! How about keeping my scroggle name and other players names out of the volano chat. SDavison, @ussierach, bunny87, knightrider, scamp, Chainer, are just a few of the names that have been talked BAD about in volano. You say you are tired of the hostile environment, but you are the ones who continue to talk about it in volano and to make snide comments in scroggle chat.

The cheating situation is one that Michael Lalena will deal with. He caught onto Saisha i am guessing because she finished a game in 23 minutes which is highly unlikely, not because someone reported her. Playwiththedevil made a statement in chat that I get p***ed off that he finishes faster than me (finished a whole almost minute ahead of me tonight, do ya want a prize). No i do not get p***ed off that you finish faster than me. Babs, ELS,  and others have finished faster than me many times and I congratulate them. They are very good at the game. I have not commented about anyone being a cheater except for the few that have finished in less than 30 minutes which is highly unlikely. Those people were fandango and scroggle heaux who finished too quickly to be real, and i was not the only person who made a comment at that time. In the past Lascivious (Brian who was a lano chatter) accused playwiththedevil and lil_bit of cheating. Everyone ragged on him until he left scroggle. Maybe you were not using a cheat program but you were helping one another through MSN instant messenger. Now Playwiththedevil and TXEmma are helping one another to finish in the top two. More power to you! It is good that you can help one another.

If people want to get words from others in MSN, Volano, or anywhere else then by all means help yourselves. I play to try to get the words myself. What i do not like is that when you finish, you come into the scroggle chat and give the words. Giving clues is sufficient to help other players. Michael has listed how to give clues in the instructions and people keep disrespecting him by listing words. Please give other people a chance to play the game without having all the words listed in chat, because some people cannot even get on when the game starts due to the time difference. Maybe Michael should do away with the scores tab and people would not feel they need to finish quickly and would spend more time actually looking for the words themselves. Being the top two scorers or even top ten does not give you anymore points than anyone else. I guess the only thing you get is the satisfaction of coming into chat and letting everyone else know you are done, big whoop. If you need everyone to know you are done to make you feel important, then I pity your life. I will not waste anymore of my valuable time on people who have nothing better to do than belittle others to make themselves feel better.

FOR ALL OTHER SCROGGLERS: I APOLOGIZE FOR ANY NEGATIVENESS I BROUGHT TO THE CHAT. YOU GUYS DID NOT DESERVE TO HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE RANTINGS OF ALL THE PARTIES INVOLVED. HAVE FUN PLAYING THE GAME AND REMEMBER YOU DO NOT NEED TO FINISH A GAME TO STILL ENJOY IT. CHALLENGE YOURSELVES AND KNOW THAT YOU ARE IMPROVING WITH EACH DAY. SELF IMPROVEMENT AND FUN IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

knight rider
9/22/2008 8:53:46 AM

WAY TO GO BUNNY!!!!!!!!!  I say ditto to everything you said.  Everyone needs to know ALL that was said in volano.  My guess is they would be VERY surprized.  These people dont even know us.  Bunny, you have a WONDERFUL day in your REAL life and dont even think about the LOSERS in Volano.  Apparently they are obcessed with attempting to cause others pain.  It doesnt bother me, I know who I am and certainly dont worship the devil!  I remember an old saying something about the company you keep tells who you are, or something like that.  Anyway, I plan to have a SUPER day, and hope all of you do too.  BYE!
TXEmma
9/22/2008 12:42:31 PM

I will not speak for anyone but myself and Remy.  Not that ANYONE deserves an answer.  First...you must have missed the post where Michael said that after his investigations....he found NO ONE ELSE in the top 10 that was cheating other than the person that he already named.  THAT INCLUDED Remy and I.  You can ask Michael to make a comparison on ANY day and he will see that he and I are not cheating.  The reason that Remy always finishes above me is that we PLAN it that way.  He and I work at at the same speed and yes....there are a few words at the end that I may not get so he gives them to me, nothing different than people do in Scroggle chat.  We just happened to finish at the same time.  That's the truth...and for those that don't believe it...i don't give a damn. For those of you, and you know who you are, that think that Remy, myself, and Roose...and now Scroggle fan are one and the same person....again....GROW UP.  If you had any sense whatsoever or could stay off the booze long enough, you would know that is not the case...we are four individual people.

As for all of this accusing of whatever that goes on online.....GROW UP!     It's immature, and I am POSITIVE that people are tired of having to deal with it.  I know I am.  

homey46
9/22/2008 7:08:50 PM

Last Edited by homey46
on 9/22/2008 7:10:43 PM

Personally, I think this chat crap has been out of control since it started. I was informed a few hours ago that earlier today my name was brought in as a potential cheater. Those of us that have been playing for a year or more know who has been smart enough to finish the puzzles in an expedient manner long before the words were passed around to anyone who lacked the intelligence or initiative to find them on their own. Last year there were few occasions when more than 30 players got them all, and we know who we are. I did enjoy racing bunny, emma, remy, david, mark, and a few others. Now there are always at least 70 and sometimes over 100. What an amazing rise in the average intelligence of the players!!!

I narrow the window so that I don't ever see the stupid crap being said, or the words that I am trying to find. When I have looked at it, I have seen a lot of people who obviously have fun relationships with others on the site. I think that is cool, and probably what Michael intended when he added the feature. But I have seen so much "cheating" by passing words, no, word lists, around that it has taken any sense of compet**ion out of the picture and I actually quit playing for a couple of months. When I started playing again, I only did it for of the sense of accomplishment I feel by getting all the words, not by getting them faster than anyone else, and definitely not to impress any of you. Does it really make you feel smart to get 100% when you haven't really found the words on your own? So just who is cheating? I've finished quite a few in less than an hour (though 30 minutes is remarkable) and I've also spent hours trying to find the last two or three words, and since some of you have obviously looked up my records, you'll see that sometimes I can't get them all (though I could have if I went to the chat!).

LEAVE ME OUT OF YOUR PETTY LITTLE SQUABBLES!!!!! (and try to play honestly, maybe you'll respect yourselves more!!!)

Michael LaLena
9/22/2008 9:13:01 PM

Last Edited by Michael LaLena
on 9/22/2008 9:17:20 PM

Just to fill everyone in on the cheating" from the database I can tell what order someone submitted all of their words (sort of).

A typical cheater will get every word in alphabetical order. BUT, if you are playing the game on two computers (or two browsers on the same computer by mistake) at the same time then it will copy your word list from one computer to the other in alphabetical order. This could also account for the words being in order.

Someone had posted a message asking to see if Saisha had cheated last Thursday. She found all 120 words in under 15 minutes. Below is the order that Saisha found the words. I italicized the words below when they start in alphabetical order. Although this could be caused by using multiple browsers, most people wouldn't use 2 different computers within 15 minutes.

AMEN, AIMS, MEED, MEEDS, WEES, WEED, WEEDS, WEEN, BONE, p***, p***ES, SHES, SENT, SITS, DEEM, DEEMS, SEEM, SEEN, VIES, GENES, GENESES, SENSE, SENSES, SEEMS, PIED, PIER, PIERS, ARCS, AYES, COSES, COST, COSY, COTS, DECISIVE, DECISIVENESS, DECISIVENESSES, EGIS, EVEN, EVENS, EVES, EVENT, EVENTS, EVER, GENE, GENT, GENTS, GENESIS, GNEISS, GNEISSES, ICED, JAMS, JAYS, JIMSONWEED, JIMSONWEEDS, JOTS, JOYS, LARD, LARDS, MASON, MAYO, MAYOS, MAYS, MAYST, MIEN, MOBS, MOSEY, MOSEYS, NARC, NARCS, NARCOTIC, NARCOTICS, NARCOSES, NEED, NEEDS, NEST, NEVI, NOSE, NOSEY, OMEN, OVER, OVEN, OVENS, OVERS, PICS, PSIS, RECS, REVS, SAME, SAYS, SEAM, SEAMEN, SEVEN, SEVENS, SEVER, SEVERS, SICS, SPIED, SIEVE, SIEVES, SIGN, SIGNS, SISES, SOME, SOYA, SOYAS, SPICE, SPICED, TICS, TOYS, VENT, VENTS, VEST, VESTIGE, VESTIGES, VISE, VISES, VOICE, VOICED, YAMS, YEAS

The word list for homey46 is also somewhat alphabetical, but doesn't look like cheating. More like someone doing random words, and then working through the missing words in the list starting from the top. You can even see that he skipped a couple of words and had to go back and find them later.

WEES, WEED, WEEDS, WEEN, SEEN, SEEM, NEED, NEEDS, NOSE, NOSEY, BONE, MOBS, MOSEY, SOME, SAYS, SEAM, SEVEN, SEVENS, VOICE, VOICED, SHES, SISES, SIEVE, SIEVES, PICS, PIED, PIER, PIERS, p***, p***ES, VISE, VISES, VIES, ARCS, LARD, LARDS, SITS, SIGN, SIGNS, TICS, TOYS, COST, COTS, OVEN, OVENS, EVEN, EVENS, EVES, SENSE, SENSES, SENT, JOTS, JOYS, JAYS, GENE, GENES, SPIED, SPICE, SPICED, MAYS, MAYO, MEED, MEEDS, JAMS, ICED, AMEN, AIMS, AYES, COSES, COSY, EVENT, EVENTS, EVER, GENESIS, GENESES, GENT, GENTS, NEVI, NEST, GNEISS, GNEISSES, JIMSONWEED, JIMSONWEEDS, MASON, MAYOS, NARC, NARCS, NARCOTIC, NARCOTICS, NARCOSES, MIEN, MAYST, MOSEYS, OMEN, OVER, OVERS, RECS, REVS, PSIS, SAME, SEAMEN, SEEMS, SEVER, SEVERS, SICS, SOYA, SOYAS, VENT, VEST, VENTS, VESTIGE, VESTIGES, YAMS, YEAS, DEEM, DEEMS, DECISIVE, DECISIVENESS, DECISIVENESSES, EGIS

This is the word list for kvcole. Also gets very alphabetical half way through. This person finished around 6PM so the only reason to want to cheat is to have every puzzle solved on the all time rankings. Again, this could be caused by multiple browsers.

WEEDS, WEED, NEED, NEEDS, LARD, LARDS, MEED, MEEDS, DEEM, DEEMS, SOME, BONE, AIMS, WEES, SAME, MIEN, SAYS, TOYS, JOYS, COTS, COST, SENT, NEST, VEST, SENSE, SENSES, MAYS, YEAS, PICS, SPICE, SPICED, SHES, p***, p***ES, VENT, VENTS, MOBS, NOSE, GENT, GENTS, REVS, DECISIVE, DECISIVENESS, DECISIVENESSES, PSIS, GNEISS, GNEISSES, MAYO, MAYOS, MASON, JOTS, AMEN, ARCS, AYES, COSES, COSY, EGIS, EVEN, EVENS, EVENT, EVENTS, EVER, EVES, GENE, GENES, GENESIS, GENESES, ICED, JAMS, JAYS, JIMSONWEED, JIMSONWEEDS, MAYST, MOSEY, MOSEYS, NARC, NARCOSES, NARCOTIC, NARCOTICS, NARCS, NEVI, NOSEY, OVEN, OVENS, OMEN, OVER, OVERS, PIED, PIER, PIERS, RECS, SEAM, SEAMEN, SEEM, SEEMS, SEEN, SEVEN, SEVENS, SEVER, SEVERS, SICS, SIEVE, SIEVES, SIGN, SIGNS, SISES, SITS, SOYA, SOYAS, SPIED, TICS, VESTIGE, VESTIGES, VIES, VISE, VISES, VOICE, VOICED, WEEN, YAMS

This is the word list for edge. This is definitely the multiple computer issue. He used one computer (probably from home) and found some words and didn't close the game. Then he found more on the second computer (probably from work), and then when went back to playing on the first computer and finished around 10PM. To make sure he didn't lose the words from the second computer, the game copied every word in alphabetical order from the server to back the first computer. That explains why the first half of words are alphabetical and then it goes back to somewhat random. Again, the last half of the list is almost alphabetical. This looks like someone just going thorough all of the missing words from top to bottom. Sometimes people also ask for help in alphabetical order which could explain it.

ARCS, BONE, COST, COTS, COSES, EVES, DEEM, EVEN, EVENS, EVENT, EVENTS, EVER, GENE, GENES, GENT, GENTS, GENESIS, GENESES, ICED, JAYS, LARDS, LARD, MEED, MEEDS, MOBS, MAYS, NEST, NEED, NEEDS, NOSE, NOSEY, NARC, NARCS, NARCOTIC, NARCOTICS, OVEN, OVENS, OVER, OVERS, PSIS, PIER, PIERS, PICS, PIED, RECS, REVS, SEAM, SEAMEN, SENT, SEVEN, SEVENS, SENSE, SENSES, SHES, SPICE, SPICED, SPIED, SEEN, SEEM, SEEMS, SAME, SOME, SICS, SITS, TOYS, WEEN, WEED, WEEDS, WEES, VENT, VENTS, VOICE, VOICED, VISE, VISES, VIES, YAMS, YEAS, AMEN, MIEN, DECISIVE, DECISIVENESS, DECISIVENESSES, JIMSONWEED, JIMSONWEEDS, GNEISS, GNEISSES, p***, p***ES, SIGN, SIGNS, AYES, AIMS, COSY, DEEMS, JAMS, JOTS, JOYS, MAYO, MASON, MAYOS, MAYST, NARCOSES, EGIS, SIEVE, SIEVES, MOSEY, MOSEYS, NEVI, OMEN, SOYA, SOYAS, SAYS, SEVER, SEVERS, VEST, SISES, TICS, VESTIGE, VESTIGES

To summarize, it does look like some people may have found a way to cheat. I don't believe they are simply using a wordlist. Normally, people find most of the 4 letter words, and then use those to help find the more difficult words inbetween. No one finds every word in order. This looks like it is something different.

Either way nothing is gained by cheating. There is no money at stake. Some people say that some players like to be abusive in chat because they finish first. I will look into making some changes to the chat to fix this. I already have some hooks in place to support "friends" and "mute" features for chat. I will work on finishing this soon. Banning a player doesn't work because they can always sign up for a new account and then they will just be more abusive. A mute feature will probably be the best method of dealing with this.

@uss*e R@chel
9/23/2008 6:43:44 AM

HI MICHAEL YES I HAVE TO ADMIT IM ONE PERSON THAT HAS ATTACK PPL FROM TIME TO TIME I ASK FOR HELP BUT PPL IGNORE BEFORE I EVEN ASK FOR HELP.CAUSE ITS HARD ON ME AND OTHERS CAUSE THEY NEED TO GET TO BED AND I HAVE ALL DAY TO FINISH THE PUZZLE BUT WHEN I HIT A BRICKWALL AND REPEATLY ASK FOR HELP I GET IGNORED AND THEY KNOW THIS I HAVE ADMITTED TO THEM THAT I DO THIS, THE HARDEST PART IS THE TIME DIFFERENCE I GET HOME 8.30PM I DO THE PUZZLE BUT CAUSE I HAVE WORK THE NEXT DAY I NEED TO FINISH THE PUZZLE QUICKLY THATS WHY I ASK FOR HELP I CANT STAY UP TOO LONG.   SO IF YOU WANNA BAN ME BAN ME I DONT CARE !!!

@uss*e R@chel
Re: Got a problem. still cheating
9/30/2008 4:30:50 AM

Last Edited by @uss*e R@chel
on 9/30/2008 7:29:50 AM

Im tired of everyone asking for help as soon as they get on and start the puzzle they start asking for words, and some ppl are still typing the words out, reason i had to turn chat off but when i need help it takes them forever to help me and still the same ppl are finishing quicker than others, always the same person, i like to know how that person does it while the rest of us are trying to find the words.   Most ppl are still  think its a competetion see who finishes first i find it getting really boring reason why alot of ppl are no longer playing scroggle and i dont blame them.

Michael if you go in there now they are all typing out the words see they cant do the puzzle on their own without getting help, but they are getting help straight away now if it was me in there asking for help i would be waiting for ages for them to help me or they never bother to answer.    The puzzle archieve should be scrapped from this game its not fair to the rest of us who play this game honestly most of them wouldnt know what that means.

@uss*e R@chel
re: word list
10/8/2008 2:41:08 AM

TO MICHAEL WHAT IS THE POINT IS US COMPLAINING TO YOU ABOUT CHEATERS WHEN YOU GIVE OUT THE WORD LIST I FIND THAT VERY UNFAIR, THIS MEANS THAT THE OTHER COUNTRIES GET AHEAD START ON THE GAME AND FINISH THE GAME BEFORE AUSTRALIA DOES, BUT THEN AGAIN YOU HATE AUSTRALIANS THATS REASON WHY YOU IGNORE US IN CHAT, WELL YOU GO AHEAD KEEP GIVING OUT THE WORD LIST THEY DONT NEED TO USE THEIR BRAINS TO FIND THE WORDS THEY HAVE THEM HANDED TO THEM ON A SILVER PLATTER.   AND YOU CAN KEEP IGNORING US  I COULDNT CARELESS
Michael LaLena
10/10/2008 4:33:07 PM

Last Edited by Michael LaLena
on 10/10/2008 4:33:40 PM

I know you may want to keep the word list secret, but it does not belong to me. Alan Beale spent a lot of time compiling these word lists and removing duplicates, errors... and then made his work available for free. Without that work, the Scroggle game would have been impossible. Most other word lists contain some proper names or phoenetics or do not contain the plural words... This was the only word list that I found that had everything I needed.

All Alan asked for in return is that he be given credit for his work. I have to honor this request, which means that people will know what word list I used.

Some people feel the need to try to get 100% of the words every day. This is almost impossible without asking for help or using a word list. I do not consider this cheating. To me, cheating is using a program to solve the puzzle for you, or asing for help for 50%+ of the words and actually getting the word itself (not a clue for the word). Also, if people are offended by others asking for help or offended by something else said in chat, then they can mute that user.

Just to post it again, here is the credit request:

The 12dicts lists were compiled by Alan Beale. I explicitly release them to the public domain, but request acknowledgment of their use. (Actually, the dependency of the 2of12inf list on AGID prevents its release into the public domain. However, I do not impose any additional requirements on its use beyond those imposed by AGID and its sources, as described in agid.txt.) Feel free to send comments, suggestions, inquiries and/or large sums of money to me at biljir[at]pobox[dot]com. If you find 12dicts useful, I'd love to hear about it.

Google